jueves, 6 de octubre de 2011

A "Happy" Ending

Related to Cinderella or not, Slaugtherhouse-Five´s ending was LAME. The story is full of sarcasm, mockery, and black humor, and the ending didn´t meet my expectations. Many endings in the story tend to be lame, and by "endings" I also mean deaths. Valencia died in the most lame way she could have died. Only dying because of her overweight would have made it more boring.

Otherwise, there were two characteristics of a vehicle that make me consider many variables. After the POWs finish the "body-mining," they just leave. The only vehicle available is "an abandoned wagon drawn by two horses, yet the outstanding characteristic about it was that "the wagon was green and coffin-shaped." This is the last mock in Slaughterhouse-Five, where I feel Vonnegut represents their survival of WWII as simple, and the fact that they are leaving as an introduction to a dangerous and life-threatening journey. I am forced to believe this because of the "coffin-shaped" vehicle, the tree that was "leafing out," and the way Vonnegut tends to under-rate any war eventualities. 

I do feel the end of the novel lets me down, I awaited a special ending with unexpected turns, not Billy leaving in serenity. I still believe Billy was crazy and Trafalmadore was made-up, but it was his way of escaping our current world, which is torn apart every day by the endless inner and external conflicts we have to confront.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario