martes, 20 de septiembre de 2011

Pilgrimage in Trafalmadore

In Chapter 4, I see repetitions or patterns of different colors, and they seem significant. Vonnegut mentions the orange and black stripes in the roof of the train taking Americans to concentration camps and on a tent in his daughter´s marriage. Later, he looks at his feet, which were ivory and blue, just like the claw in the boxcar. The emphasis the author gives to these combinations must have a meaning, which the reader may later realize.

Another trend in the text is the recurrent mention of Adam and Eve, letting the reader infer that Billy believes or considers them, therefore also has faith in God and considers the original sin.

A very important characteristic of Billy Pilgrim is how he seems to have grown accustomed to being "unstuck in time", being able to perceive and even control when he will be traveling. There is a parragraph where the narrator explains how Billy watches war movies backwards. The way he exposes the movie seems to be mocking the impossibility of repairing war´s damages and effects on the world.

Lastly, Trafalmadorians seem to possess all the stereotypical characteristics of of aliens, with their telepathic communications, flying saucers, and green eyes. The only notable difference is that Trafalmadorians seem to have befriended Billy, while in other stories, aliens abduct people against their will. The way these aliens treat Billy like a guest seems awkward, since I´m accustomed to hear about experimentation on humans by force.

3 comentarios:

  1. I found very interesting to read the way you were very direct and didnt go around in circles not finding you point, which is most of the time, what I do. It was not too much nor to less, it was very well done and clear, easy to understand.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I really liked the connection you did with the colors and also with the figures of Adam and Eve. I had never thought about it. I mean, I saw that it mentioned them twice but had never really done a connection between them. I totally agree with you in the sense that it must be that Billy is religious or something of that kind. However, I really think that Vonnegut is trying to express something in relation with religion, more specifically Adam and Eve, or as you said the original sin by Billy maybe to prove something, I don't know. Your entry really made me realize things I had not seen before.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I really enjoyed reading this blog because I got to see things that I didn't notice while reading the book. When Adam and Eve appeared twice I believed that it was because they were two perfect people in a perfect world and that Pilgrim wanted to be a part of it. Now that I have read your blog I have realized that maybe he did want to add in religion. Something that made your blog a lot easier to read is that you went straight to the point instead of adding a bunch of fluff.

    ResponderEliminar