domingo, 6 de mayo de 2012

Scientific Literature?

Right after this book was assigned all I thought was "Bummer, another book only Dr. Gregory and Alberto Andrade will understand." Am I not surprised to find myself enjoying what I would define as "scientific literature!" Of course I applied this term without knowing the actual meaning of it (I later realized what I mean can be referred to as "academic publishing," or the process of placing the results of one's research into the literature), but it seemed appropriate. 

This book is unlike other scientific reports, it seems as if the author, Richard Dawkins, was narrating evolution without using many scientific terms. Instead, the document has many detailed descriptions of topics like DNA and replication that are explained in simple way. Dawkins supposes we are familiar with genetics thus he can share experiments and expect us to understand. Part of the charm of the book is the way Dawkins writes in first person, his familiar register makes the reader feel close to him, influencing how the reader understands the book.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario