lunes, 13 de febrero de 2012

As Cliché As It Gets

I can´t get Forrest Gump off my mind. Even though I already made a blog entry about him, I can´t stop finding connections between him and Candide. Even though the first part of his love story reminds me of Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia, who many impostors tried to imperson after her whole family was murdered and there was gossip going around about her surviving. It was rumored she escaped by hiding under the corpses of her family and servants, and I relate this historical event to Candide because in Lady Cunégonde´s tale, she barely dodges death after the Bulgars enter her mansion and kill her family.

Forrest Gump, on the other hand, reminds me of Candide because both of them fall in love women who they lose and don´t expect to see again. Both Jenny and Lady Cunégonde are sexually abused, and the women unexpectedly find our protagonists to finally give the audience the love story it´s begging for. Clearly, that´s as cliché as these stories get.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario