miércoles, 22 de febrero de 2012

Crazy Obsession

First, Lady Cunégonde magically appears, and now her brother´s alive in Paraguay? I swear I won´t be surprised if their parents become brain-eating zombies and wake up from their tombs. I´ve given up with reading the italicized text under the chapter´s title, because a surprise like this is ruined in two sentences.I´m even startig to think the Baron´s family is stalking Candide. How is it that every time he crosses a whole ocean to reach another continent, he either meets one of the members of the family or recieves a supposed "love letter" from Lady Cunégonde? 

I do think Candide might be falling facefirst into some kind of obsession with Cunégonde, either he speaks too much about her (might be the reason why the abbé knows how to trick him and Martin into visiting her) or Martin is betraying him. A rage attack with your brother-in-law and then murdering him is taking it a bit too far when it comes to marriage ("Candide instantly drew his own [sword] and plundged it up to the hilt in the Baron´s stomach, but as he withdrew the dripping blade began to weep, and cried ´O God! What have I done! I have killed my old master, my friend, and my brother in law!´" (pg. 67)).  This is Candide´s impulsiveness alone, what if he were travelling alone? Martin, Cacambo, Pangloss, they´ve always been there to support and guide Candide. Cacambo always "kept his head" (pg. 67), but I doubt that Candide would have succesfully escaped after murdering Cunégonde´s brother. I´m almost done with the book but I think Candide is done for.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario